Podcast #303 – Radio on TV, Magazines and Tape
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021 - 1 seconds
Just when we thought the Franken FM era might be over for good, the FCC grants “Special Temporary Authority” to a LPTV channel 6 in San Jose, California to keep its analog signal – heard on the FM dial – on the air while transitioning its video signal to digital. We review this news, along with a proposal in front of the FCC to boost low-power FM stations to 250 watts.
We also take a look at the most recent issue of The Wire magazine, dedicated to radio in both broadcast and internet forms. Dedicated to “Adventures in Sound and Music,” the journal looks at stations that share experimental and forward-looking sounds, highlighting Radio Survivor favorites like Wave Farm and the Pirate Radio Sound Map, alongside community-oriented stations in Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, South Africa and Palestine.
Then Jennifer shares her experience taking the cassette-hacking course that Eric discussed in episode #299, as we analyze the intermixing of radio, physical and digital media in the 21st century.
- It’s Alive! FCC Authorizes Last-Minute Franken FM Experiment
- Time Is Running Out for FrankenFMs – Just 4 Months Left
- St. Francis High School Files Paperwork to Sell KSFH to Group Focused on South Asian Community
- REC LPFM Advisory Letter #11 – LP250 Upgrade: Technical Planning Considerations for LPFM Stations
- See if your LPFM station might be eligible for a power upgrade at check.LP250.com
- The Wire #449: Radio Activity / On Air
- Dogbotic: Cassette Hacking: A Modern Musician’s Guide to Mangling Magnetic Tape
- Podcast #293: Exploring Radio Art and Transmission Art with Anna Friz
- Podcast #292: The History of Sound Art with Judy Dunaway
- Radio Survivor Podcast #190: Radio Spectrum and Transmission Art with Amanda Dawn Christie
- Radio Survivor Podcast #193: Wavefarm, Reveil and Transmission Arts
- Radio Survivor Podcast #289: Celebrating Women in Sound with Jennifer Hyland Wang and Jenny Stoever
- Radio Survivor Podcast #151: The Wave Farm Grows Transmission Arts
- Sisters with Transistors
- Podcast #163 – The Post Radio is Dead Era
Subscribe to this podcast