Podcast #300 – How to Get a Noncomm FM License in 2021 (Replay)
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021 - 59 seconds
The Federal Communications Commission recently announced that November 2, 2021 will mark the opening of the next licensing window for full-power non-commercial / educational (NCE) FM radio stations. The Commission first hinted at this chance back in fall of 2020. Given how often our listeners ask how and when they can get a radio license, we immediately dedicated an episode to that topic. Now that more is known we decided to revisit it.
Even though the application window dates have not yet been announced, now is the time to get prepared. Broadcast attorney Frank Montero guests to help us understand the process of applying for an FM broadcast license. He’s a partner with Fletcher, Heald and Hildreth, which also publishes the CommLawBlog. He explains who qualifies to apply and other requirements to keep in mind.
License application windows are the only time when an organization may apply for an FM radio license, and they don’t happen frequently. The last full-power NCE window was more than a decade ago, and the last chance at an LPFM was 2013. As the FM dial fills up in cities and towns across the country, this may be the last opportunity for a new station in many regions. If you’re interested in operating a full- or low-power non-commercial station we we hope this episode helps get you started. Even if you’re not interested, it’s important to understand just how stations get on the air in the 21st century.
- CommLawBlog – The Upcoming FCC Noncommercial FM and LPFM Filing Windows: What You Need to Know
- The Next Noncomm FM License Opportunity Opens November 2
- NFCB: Primer On The NCE Radio Filing Window
- FCC Chair: New LPFM & Noncomm License Opportunities Coming Soon
- FCC Awards Full-Power Licenses to 5 LPFMs, Plus 52 More Orgs (2010)
- FCC’s LPFM order will make 2013 a good year for community radio (2012)
- Radio Survivor documented the roll-out of new LPFM stations beginning with the most recent 2013 application window
Feature image adapted from “The FCC’s front door” by Rob Pegararo / flickr (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
The post Podcast #300 – How to Get a Noncomm FM License in 2021 (Replay) appeared first on Radio Survivor.
Subscribe to this podcast