Podcast #299 – Cassettes for Art, Radio and Recording TV
Wednesday, May 26th, 2021 - 1 seconds
It seems like physical media continues to have a hold on humans, even while most of us in the West engage with online, streaming and virtual media for much, if not most, of our time. Audiocassettes are like radio, in that they have been declared dead multiple times in the last three decades, yet continue to be found, employed and enjoyed by new generations who insist on keeping them alive. Eric just completed a weekend-long cassette hacking workshop, joined by a diverse group of musicians and sound-makers of a variety of ages. He shares that experience as we discuss conjoined histories of cassettes and radio.
That leads us into a presentation Jennifer watched at this year’s virtual Society for Cinema and Media Studies conference, where she learned about a pre-VCR underground of people who recorded the audio of television shows onto cassette. It turns out some of these recordings may be the only surviving artifacts of some broadcasts that were not preserved, or have never again been seen or heard in their original form. We show how cassettes are for everyone who cares about sound in its myriad forms.
Also under discussion: the shutdown of internet radio directory service Reciva, and the perilousness of proprietary platforms.
- Dogbotic’s Cassette Hacking Workshop
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- Broadcast Historian Nora Patterson
- Podcast #297 – Radio Studies and Soundwork
- Negativland: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert
- Wobbly (Jon Leidecker)
- Wikipedia: Iannis Xenakis
- Podcast #145 – Hip-Hop Radio Archive
- Radio World: Reciva Internet Radio Platform Shutting Down
- “Electronic project kits: hands on with a vintage 160-in-1“
- Mystery Show Case #6 Kotter
- The Real World Homecoming: New York
- Billboard: ‘Beavis and Butt-head’ to Return With Fewer Music Videos Due to Licensing Constraints
- “The State” FAQ
- Podcast #141 – How Radio Isn’t Done, According To Negativland’s Don Joyce
- An Affectionate & Honest Filmic Portrait of Negativland’s Don Joyce
- Radio Garden
- Exploring Radio Garden on World Radio Day
- Radio Preservation Task Force
- Podcast #133 – Preserving Brooklyn Pirate Radio
- Soundtap’s College Radio Discovery Tool
- 82 Best Freeform College Radio Stations
- RIP: Podcast #125 – Radio Free America Is an Online Hub for Noncomm Radio
- Internet Archive
- Podcast #168 – A Time Machine for All the Radio plus Shortwave
The post Podcast #299 – Cassettes for Art, Radio and Recording TV appeared first on Radio Survivor.
Subscribe to this podcast